ARC - Fees & Rewards: How to improve the $AAVE token value?

What will happen to burn LEND token from the Flash loan fee? In new Aavenomice this mechanism will follow?

Reducing supply through protocol fees will create a positive feedback loop for Aave tokenomics.

1 Like

Lot of “aave v2.” but what do we know about it ?
I guess we need more info, i’d love more info @stani

4 Likes

Love seeing the discussion starting!

Thanks for starting the topic, just a few comments and opinions.

Origination fees are a mixed bag. I believe it’s essential to strengthen Aave as a leading money market protocol by prioritizing growth over fee generation. Origination fees would drive away some borrowers.

Recall that there is (as far as I know) no origination fee linked to borrowing on Compound. In fact, you earn COMP by borrowing on compound. Furthermore, Aave depositors are the greatest beneficiaries of the safety module.

Note that though regular borrowers are depositors, the majority of users just deposit without borrowing. It makes little sense to me to only charge those who borrow for the insurance of all depositors.

Instead, I believe a seamless, efficient method of value accrual for the protocol treasury is redirecting a portion of depositor interest, say 5-10% or something. In such a system, depositors would have no additional payment and would be contributing to their own insurance over time.

Lastly, though the possibility to implement various fees is appealing, I recommend we really take our time with this and be cautious. I can’t understate the importance of growth, and stacking fees can potentially pile up, we don’t want users feeling “double taxation.”

Though your concern is valid in V2, as of now Aave flash loans are nonreentrant (as far as I know), you cannot use an Aave flash loan to liquidate an Aave position.

In other words, in V2, flash loan volume will potentially rise as native flash loans become reentrant, already giving more value to the protocol. I have concerns on raising the fee here. Aave’s flash loans are specifically attractive because of the low fee and ease of use. An 11.11% increase seems unnecessary to me.

On the topic of taking a slight percentage of profits from liquidated collateral, I think that’s worth exploring. As long as liquidations remain profitable enough for liquidators, this might not be a bad idea. I haven’t dabbled in liquidations yet so I can’t really give more input here.

I actually think this is a pretty clever idea. Interest rate switching is a fairly unique feature that Aave has, and it’s definitely worth exploring a potential fee, though I’m not sure how often this feature is utilized.

I’m not sold on charging for features I would deem more or less integral to the protocol. This is where I fear end users might get close to that fee-stacking “double taxation” feeling.

I believe, in this case, that fees should only be what is necessary to pay for whichever features are needed for the collateral swap or repayment.

On the other hand, it is fairly innovative. Regardless, our fees should not significantly surpass what is possible with other products or flash loans in V2.

I’m not sure how that would work for credit delegation, since it requires external agreements/protocols, but I do think a fee here is worth discussing.

On to the uses!

I actually believe it may be more beneficial to directly distribute the converted aToken stablecoin, instead of market-buying and distributing AAVE.

This allows the staker to choose for themselves whether they would like to increase their ownership position, or simply use their rewards as revenue for their insurance provision in the safety module.

If you mean you want the treasury to hold aTokens, I absolutely agree! If you’re referring to external farming strategies, I think we should limit the scope of the treasury holdings to the protocol itself. This prevents compounding risks from various DeFi protocols, and maintains the treasury’s independence.

If, one day, governance chooses to create an “Aave Investment Bank” or something, which would hold other governance tokens and vote, that’s a different story!

I believe staking itself should be rewarding enough without the need for an additional bonus.

I am working on potentially releasing a stkAAVE staking pool with pooled compounding, let me know if this is something you’re interested in.

I don’t think a migration deadline is helpful as of yet. There could be people who just realized they had LEND, for instance, it would be real tough to be stuck with worthless LEND after the deadline.

Alright, so that was my (pretty long-winded) two cents! Thank you @Dydymoon for taking the initiative and starting the discussion!

4 Likes

That all sounds great as well as maybe privacy features. What are your thoughts about that?

So, can we start with something lower-risk, such as a small fee on the rate switching mechanism for loans? Where does the AAVE team currently stand on the issues outlined by @Zer0dot? Cheers for that overview btw.

1 Like

Hey @Zer0dot, thank you for your answer and sorry i took so long to answer you !

You mentioned some interesting ideas, and i will try to answer to your questions :

I think redirecting a % of generated interest with the deposits to an assurance for the protocol is a good idea, but isn’t that the same that a fee ? i mean, it sure is better as it’s not coming from user pocket, but at the end, there is a cut anyway.

Yes compound doesn’t charge anything and even pay you to borrow, but there is a lot less choice of assets, and a lot less functionalities, in my opinion this is not a issue to pay a bit more for a better service.

This is the same thing about other fees, i get that you’re afraid of double taxation feeling from users but regarding the functionalities that only exist on Aave (credit delegation, swap of collateral, payback loan with collateral), we can basically add the fees we want because there is no other protocol allowing to do that in my knowledge, and moreover, we are talking about really low fees especially comparing to what these features can offer.

However, i understand flash loans fees can easily reduce profitability, and you’re right, there is no reason for such an increase.
Maybe going from 0.09% to 0.095% is better ? But the point here is to keep these attractive, and if increasing those fees might drive user away from flash loans, we could of course leave it as it is.
Also, flash loans available liquidity is a important factor. Sure, people could use Dydx to make those but there is not the same liquidity as aave has. So, if someone needs more than what dydx can provide, they have to use aave.

The point of using fees tu buy & send aave to stakers was mainly to maintain a buying pressure but you’re right, stakers should have the choice between receiving atokens or aave tokens.

I really like the idea of the “Aave investment bank”, surely need a dedicated ARC :D

However, by farming strategy i meant yearn vault or else if there is better by then, that would allow us to get the tresury filled a lot faster than leaving simply the tresury in deposit. We could and probably should also split the funds between differents protocoles to reduce risks, and maybe accumulate governance token like you said, so we could use curve to accumulate CRV, Yearn to compound stablecoins, synthetix or uniswap etc

Regarding compounding bonus, it may depend on how much Aave will be released / day, but incentivise people to compound rewards increase the liquidity locked into the safety module and really reward long term players here. There is already one planned for LP, so why not one for stakers as they are the ones protecting the protocol ?

I read your proposal and some discussions on telegram about what you’re building, and i’m totally interested in. An auto compounding function would be huge news for stakers.
Can’t wait to try it out !

Finally, the dead line is not the most important subject we should be working on right now, but we can’t let lend for ever as there will always be confusion. We are almost at 90% migration, and we know there is a lot of tokens from ico that are lost (not the ones on contracts that will probably be saved, but people that lost private keys or else.

That’s why i think setting up a dead line for end of year or end of Q1 2021 is important, so we can bury $LEND and move on to the future of finance with one and only token, $AAVE.

Thank you again for your comments and your presence to the community !

5 Likes

Cheers @Dydymoon! Loving the conversation. :beers:

In a sense it is similar, however, the burden is shifted away from borrowers and on to depositors. Of course, borrowers are depositors, but only their “depositing” side is insured. I am not against a certain origination fee, though I need to put more research and thought into it.

This is a pretty fair point. But it’s delicate, we need to make sure that whatever fee we end up implementing does not drive off new borrows.

Doesn’t sound bad to me! After some discussion, it might be optimal and reasonable to attempt implementing fees in some of these places.

I think 0.09% is good enough for now, I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle going to 0.095%. We’ll have to see as things progress in time! Aave liquidity, and soon, batch flash loans are definitely a huge benefit though. 100% agree with that.

Haha glad you like it! Definitely worth considering an “investment” branch in the future. As for now, I still would recommend against depositing anything purely meant for the treasury into another protocol, as this increases Aave’s reliance on other protocols working as intended. Even using multiple protocols, the risk is still very real, despite risking smaller amounts in different systems.

I don’t think it should be the treasury’s duty to invest earned funds into other protocols. Instead, I believe it should be used to support the protocol. Some use cases could be funding for developers, further insurance for depositors, bug bounties and sponsoring/hosting hackathons. This is probably just the tip of the iceberg, but it should probably remain fairly liquid.

In this case, a bonus might be worth considering. I’m not sold on how much of an impact it would have though. Stakers might already want to compound their earnings by default, the goal here is really to get depositors to contribute to the safety module, I think.

I agree that this isn’t really the biggest priority. In due time, (and ideally, in my eyes, after saving the stuck LEND and simplifying aLEND-aAAVE migration), we can set up a deadline.

Honestly though, I’m not sure if this will actually stop the confusion you’re referring to, or if that confusion will just fade out on its own without a deadline as liquidity for LEND dries up. Regardless, a good conversation to have.

Thank you for your contributions as well @Dydymoon! Love seeing a great community like this being built on a protocol we all know and love.

5 Likes

Great token attributes you talk about here. As a staker I appreciate the rewards for taking the risk in being a liquidity provider. In terms of a vault, what assets could be put in the smart Yearn vault smart contracts?

Thank you

1 Like

Hey @CryptoRand, the governance could deposit stablecoins received from fees into yearn vaults, but also funds obtained by credit delegation for a farming fund for exemple, but of course there is several risk we have to consider for this.

1 Like

Hello, Celsius wallet is now offering a better APY to stake my AAVE (7.5% versus 6.14%). May I propose that we increase the total emissions per day to match this? Otherwise, stakers will be incentivized to move their funds to Celsius. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

@Dydymoon heyhey

I was wondering where/how you pulled this information —

“According to the big amount of addresses with no movement and a fixed amount that seems to be ICO participations and most of those are probably lost.”

Thanks in advance homie