[ARC] Add Support for cbETH

Onboarding additional centralized, low-quality credit risk is a surprising proposition at this time.

1 Like

There are unquantifiable risks in onboarding a centralized staking derivative (for example, regulatory)
and I don’t see any benefit to the protocol.

1 Like

Hi all, with Aave V3’s launch on mainnet getting closer. I wanted to restart this thread and the discussion around what initial parameters should be.

6 Likes

Following are the initial analysis and risk parameters recommendations by Chaos Labs.

As of the day of this analysis (01/17/2022), cbETH has a market cap of ~$1B and daily trading volumes of $5M-$20M, with the two major liquidity venues being Coinbase and Uniswap V3.

Source: CoinGecko, 01/17/2022

-1% Depth in Uniswap V3 is approx. 30K-50K ETH.

In addition, the token has experienced cbETH/ETH ratio as low as 90% around two weeks after the launch.

While the counter-party risk is low with Coinbase as the issuing entity, cbETH is a new asset (launched on 09/22/2022) and a centralized token, requiring further and ongoing analysis to understand its complexity and usage before recommending increased caps and considering less conservative configurations.

Given the above, we recommend listing cbETH with borrowing disabled.

We recommend setting the LT at 74% and LTV at 71%. Since this is a new asset, we recommend not opening it in emode immediately but instead revisiting this option several weeks after the market is deployed and stable in production.

Initial risk parameter recommendations:

Symbol Isolation Mode Borrowable Collateral Enabled LTV LT LB RF LPF Debt Ceiling Supply Cap Borrow Cap
cbETH NO NO YES 71% 74% 10% N/A 0.10 N/A 15K N/A
5 Likes

After further analysis, we have updated our recommendation to allow the listing of cbETH outside isolation mode.
Generally, as recommended in the Aave docs and as mentioned by several community members on this thread, listing new assets in isolation mode is a conservative approach and good practice.
However, in this case, we think the supply cap recommended is conservative enough to allow listing cbETH outside of isolation mode and recommend the less prudent approach.

If the community desires, we can add both options (yes/no isolation mode) to the Snapshot vote to better understand the current community risk appetite.

4 Likes

Thanks for your analysis @ChaosLabs .

I see the risk params are conservative, but wanted to know if you took into account that the uniswap liquidity is not full range. This is key for oracles (not a concern atm because of great liquidity in Coinbase venue), but also for liquidations.

As far as I can see in the cbETH/ETH uniswap pair, these are the numbers:

• Liquidity of ~10K worth of ETH in total
  • Range from 0.94 to 0.99 and from 1.01 to 1.04 with ~15 ETH locked per tick
  • Range from 0.99 to 1.01 with ~300 ETH locked per tick
2 Likes

Thanks for the comment @miguelmtz. The above was indeed taken into account in the analysis.

Updated Parameter Recommendations:

Gauntlet and Chaos Labs have collaborated and shared our independent analyses for the listing of cbETH and rETH (recommendations for rETH in a separate post).
Considering the similarities between the analyses and conclusions, we have aligned on a set of recommendations for the initial listing of cbETH on Ethereum V3.
The primary considerations were to allow full utility and usage of the assets by enabling them to be borrowed, starting with relatively conservative LT and Supply/Borrow Caps.

Symbol Isolation Mode Borrowable Collateral Enabled LTV LT LB RF LPF Debt Ceiling Supply Cap Borrow Cap
cbETH NO YES YES 67% 74% 7.5% 15% 0.10 N/A 10K 1200

Interest Rate Curve and Reserve Factor

The interest rate curve analyses and recommendations provided by Gauntlet:

cbETH is similar to stETH, which has been listed on Ethereum v2 since last Spring, but since borrowing has always been disabled for stETH, we have no data about how users respond to changes in interest rates. As such, we recommend starting with conservative parameters that can be tweaked later.

https://i.imgur.com/7LAsbSa.png

Under these parameters, the borrower interest rate increases linearly from 0% at 0% utilization to 7% at 45% utilization, and then linearly to 307% at 100% utilization. This interest rate curve matches that of the more volatile assets on Aave (1INCH, CRV, ENS, LINK, MKR, UNI). From a risk perspective, interest rate curves need to be designed to reduce the chances of utilization reaching 100% which would prevent suppliers from withdrawing cbETH and prevent liquidators from seizing cbETH collateral when performing liquidations. The proposed interest rate curve is thus desirable because it uses a low optimal utilization and has a high maximum interest rate.

5 Likes

Similar to our reply to the rETH thread, considering the conservative caps on cbETH,

the ACI is now supportive of onboarding cbETH into V3 emode even before shanghai to allow Aave to be competitive while maintaining risk into sustainable territories.

3 Likes

Emode - LT 91%, LTV 88%, LB 2%

As we’ve discussed before, cbETH shares many characteristics with wstETH, including the type of debt that it will support. Given that wstETH will be initialized with eMode params of LT 93%, LTV 90%, LB 1%, we recommend that cbETH be listed with lower LT and LTV and higher LB to account for the collateral difference.

1 Like

Really excited to see the ongoing discussion here :slight_smile:

Thank you to @ChaosLabs, @Pauljlei, and @MarcZeller for putting their recommendations forward.

Per the discussion, it looks like we’ve reached consensus on the following parameters. Please share if you disagree:

Market Risk Parameters

cbETH NO YES YES 67% 74% 7.5% 15% 0.10 N/A 10K 1200

Emode Eligible - NO

Interest Rate Curve and Reserve Factor

Parameter Recommendation
Base 0
Slope 1 0.07
Uoptimal 0.45
Slope 2 3.0
Reserve Factor 0.15
1 Like

We would like to draw the attention of this proposal to the point we published affecting both cbETH and other ETH-correlated assets HERE

4 Likes

Given this information and Chaos’s updated recommendation to wait on emode, I am updating the previous post with “Emode Eligible - NO”.

Thanks, @bgdlabs.

We provide further color on e-mode configuration options here.

1 Like

Thank you! Great timing :slight_smile:

First off - wanted to thank the massive community effort behind listing this asset.

@AndrewA for the support, willingness, and ambition
@bgdlabs for the technical guidance and education for deployment
@ChaosLabs & @Pauljlei (Gauntlet) for the risk parameters
@MarcZeller for consultation and sanity

This was a truly collaborative effort and is a testimony to the talent which lies within Aave.

I now more deeply understand the complexities of Aave Governance :sweat_smile:

Flipside Crypto will propose onboarding cbETH to Aave’s Ethereum V3 pools tomorrow.

We appreciate your support in voting once on-chain!

8 Likes

I think it is important that AAVE should ensure the decentralization of ethereum as a platform. It is one of the main values ​​of #DeFi and by extension of AAVE. In the case of staking, I think it is relevant to weigh those liquid staking providers that have a strong commitment to the non-imposition of censorship in the validation process. In this sense, I attach the % of validators that currently carry out censorship in transactions in coinbase staking.

I believe that within the criteria of debt celing this information should be taken into account. Coinbase does not present the worst data in this regard but I think it is something to consider.

2 Likes

I think in the light of Kraken’s settlement with the SEC today, legal analysis is required. its very likely that cbeth is not a security but legal risk analysis is important nevertheless

tbh I am not concerned at all about cbETH.

While I’m far from qualified to discuss securities laws and lawyers input are always valuable,
the likely “worse case scenario” would be Coinbase being forced to wind down their staking operation resulting in a announced date that will stop cbETH minting and a redeem period for fair underlying value following shanghai upgrade and as allowed by the withdrawal queue.

this scenario doesn’t impact Aave of the fair value of cbETH and doesn’t seem to be a particular risk.

I want to remind that the Kraken decision is for US citizens, Aave protocol is decentralized and permisionless and as a EU citizen, I still have full access to Kraken staking services.

3 Likes