How to stake/unstake AAVE: Safety Mining

AAVE holders can stake their AAVE in the Safety Module (SM) to earn Safety Incentives (for now these are 400 AAVE/day split between all stakers). This “Safety Mining” rewards stakers for taking a risk to secure the Aave Protocol. If a shortfall event occurs, up to 30% of your stake can be slashed to cover the deficit.

To unstake your AAVE, you have to activate a 10 day “cooldown period” first before you can take it out of the Safety Module, so it’s important to plan ahead a bit here. After the cooldown period is complete, you have 2 days where you can withdraw your AAVE. Once that time is up, if you haven’t withdrawn your AAVE, you will have to activate the cooldown period all over again.

3 Likes

Hi Just had a quick question: Is the safety module only a part of aave v2?

Safety Module is part of V1 too

I think it’d be a good idea to remove the automatic re-staking feature.

Or at lease make the re-staking time as long as the cool down period.

It feels very “legacy banking” to set a time limit on when a user has to claim their funds they already indicated they wanted to withdraw.

Hello,
can you please clarify what network to choose when unstaking ?
I staked AAVE on ETH network sometime in February. If I want to unstake now - does it need to be ETH network only?
Also, do I need to claim rewards first , or will they be automatically added when unstaking?