New protocol that creates potential risk: Bribe

Hello, Aave community!

I just came across a platform that I thought would be of interest to Aave Governance, if they weren’t already aware of it.

Being that the first project to be listed there is Aave I figured I would drop the link so that others more versed in the specifics of governance than me could debate the topic.

1 Like

What risk? You didn’t say anything related to your headline. Just posted a link. If you want to start a conversation you should have arguments and a statement.

1 Like

@Dirkalark - Is this an advert?

2 Likes

Seems like, but lets wait for him to answer.

Bribe Protocol allows groups to post bribes in exchange for governance votes, in the same way something like Votium or Votemak functions. Abracadabra is/was planning to use it to support its Aave listing, promising free SPELL tokens to those who voted for collateral onboarding.

Concerns me as a potential attack vector and something we should research/keep a close eye on.

3 Likes

Let’s be more friendly with the OP, people. Arguments or not, it is important to have visibility and that somebody initiates discussions on initiatives happening around.

I would like to leave a reflection on the “bribes” topic. Lately we are seeing multiple projects submitted to this kind of dynamics, presented in my opinion in a too “cold” way: a technical mechanism to accumulate temporary voting power and pass proposals.
I understand that the profit opportunities of these dynamics are frequently quite attractive, but let’s be honest, they are more or less what until not so much time ago was denominated as governance attacks, with really bad connotations.
That being said, I’m quite neutral to listings like this one proposed of MIM, but I really urge to community members holding AAVE to think carefully before giving voting power to any party just because it gives “fast” returns. Because I think everybody can agree that “bribe” dynamics are not precisely inherently healthy.

5 Likes

I’m fine with the concept of one token holder giving someone else the power to vote on their behalf. I think this is a great innovation and similar to representative democracy. I guess paying for this delegation is something that will happen and would be difficult to stop. The issue does arrive where this could lead to one person or a small group having control over the protocol. I think it is hard to stop though as they can always just use lots of addresses to mask that it is one group

2 Likes

I agree, but I think it’s inherent in the system, it was and always will be. The chance we have is that now it’s on-chain and visible to everyone.

To prevent it, we have to act in a coordinated way.

2 Likes

Didn’t Aave grants allocate funding to the Bribe protocol?