A unified forum thread for the community to have better visibility on technical maintenance updates coming from BGD.
With Aave instances in multiple versions (v1, v2, v3) and networks, periodically it is necessary to do maintenance tasks related to infrastructure consistency.
In the past, this has been done in ad-hoc governance posts within other forum threads (e.g. HERE), explaining the rationale of each change. But we believe it is more convenient to have a dedicated thread like this, oriented to these maintenance tasks.
Historically, whenever some of these maintenance tasks are minor or routinary, we have proceeded directly to the AIP stage, given that the Snapshot step doesn’t really give value. Examples of this are the following:
- The activation of the price oracle sentinel on Aave v3 Optimism. This is a mechanism part of Aave v3 itself, fully approved by the community. So the activation didn’t require any extra approval, apart from the always necessary on-chain AIP.
- Factually disable the already deprecated fallback oracles. In order to keep consistency with v3, set the addresses of all fallback oracles to
address(0). This is also a purely technical change, to reduce differences between Aave instances.
Even if we believe this has been acceptable, the visibility for the community has not been ideal in our opinion.
Only proposals that don’t create any kind of community division or are purely technical maintenance will be included in this thread. Examples of these are:
- Updating addresses of price feeds if Chainlink recommends so, due to deprecation or optimisation of those in production.
- Oracle changes required due to the off-boarding of assets. In some cases, assets are deprecated or migrated by their community, and this implies changes in the feeds pricing them.
- Purely consistency-oriented updates, like the aforementioned proposal to unify fallback oracles to
For every maintenance update, we will create a separate post containing the same structure as the AIP description, which always shows both a high-level overview of what the proposal does and its technical specifications.
An example of this description can be found HERE.
Regarding timing, in order for the community to have time to comment on it, we always leave the proposal 3 days on this forum before creating the AIP.
Even if we will only submit in this thread purely operational updates, if the community has any concerns about one of them, we will revert back to the more strict ARFC + AIP procedure.
As this is a continuous task, the following step will be the creation of the first maintenance update, which we will describe in its specific post.